LocalNewsOnly.com March 3, 2018
With 43 percent of U.S. adults grading their knowledge of personal finance a C or lower, the free credit score website WalletHub today released its report on 2018’s Best & Worst Cities at Money Management.
In order to determine where Americans are best at handling their finances, WalletHub compared more than 2,500 cities based on 10 key indicators of money-management skills. The data set ranges from median credit score to average number of late payments to mortgage debt-to-income ratio.
|Cities with Best Money-Management Skills||Cities with Worst Money-Management Skills|
|1||Cupertino, CA||2553||McDonough, GA|
|2||Los Altos, CA||2554||Statesboro, GA|
|3||Saratoga, CA||2555||Natchitoches, LA|
|4||Scarsdale, NY||2556||Lithia Springs, GA|
|5||Sun City Center, FL||2557||Leesville, LA|
|6||Palo Alto, CA||2558||Maywood, IL|
|7||Sunnyvale, CA||2559||Hope Mills, NC|
|8||Bronxville, NY||2560||Riverdale, GA|
|9||Lexington, MA||2561||Cordele, GA|
|10||Mountain View, CA||2562||Tolleson, AZ|
|11||Foster City, CA||2563||Hampton, GA|
|12||Chevy Chase, MD||2564||Canton, MS|
|13||Sun City West, AZ||2565||Jacksonville, NC|
|14||Princeton, NJ||2566||Ruston, LA|
|15||Redmond, WA||2567||Jonesboro, GA|
|16||McLean, VA||2568||Dolton, IL|
|17||Leawood, KS||2569||Bastrop, LA|
|18||Potomac, MD||2570||College Park, GA|
|19||Bethesda, MD||2571||Lithonia, GA|
|20||Northbrook, IL||2572||Fairburn, GA|
Best vs. Worst
- Cupertino, California, has the lowest credit-card debt-to-income ratio, 1.99 percent, which is 7.4 times lower than in Magnolia, Texas, the city with the highest at 14.7 percent.
- East St. Louis, Illinois, has the lowest mortgage debt-to-income ratio, 141.35 percent, which is 7.7 times lower than in Kailua, Hawaii, the city with the highest at 1,094.45 percent.
- Scarsdale, New York, has the lowest car-loan debt-to-income ratio, 6.31 percent, which is 14.1 times lower than in Lake Placid, Florida, the city with the highest at 88.88 percent.
- Scarsdale, New York, has the lowest student-loan debt-to-income ratio, 11.62 percent, which is 8.8 times lower than in Lithonia, Georgia, the city with the highest at 102.01 percent.
- Laguna Woods, California, has the lowest average percentage of credit used, 19.9 percent, which is 3.2 times lower than in Herriman, Utah, the city with the highest at 63.9 percent.
To view the full report and your city’s rank, please visit: