The Southlake School Resources Officers work in partnership with Carroll Independent School District (CISD) to teach students valuable lessons on various topics that they can carry through life.
Here are some highlighted lessons from the 2016-2017 school year:
- Bullying: Many presentations were given to discuss what is bullying, how to prevent or stop it if your child sees it and how bullying can impact another student.
- Bicycle/ Helmet Safety: Numerous presentations were given to discuss the importance of wearing a helmet when riding a bike and other safety tips to remember when biking.
- Internet Safety: Several presentations were made to cover various online safety topics. There were presentations in general on internet safety and use and presentations on social media safety.
- Distracted Driving: These presentations were given at both Carroll ISD high schools to bring awareness to the dangers of driving while distracted or impaired. Impaired driving includes distractions such as texting while driving, putting on makeup while driving or anything that takes your eyes off the roadway. Mr. James Shaffer lost his wife and daughter due to a distracted driver, and he comes to the presentations to share his story. At the end of the presentations, students were encouraged to pledge to be a non-distracted Dragon driver.
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Presentations were given to teach drug and alcohol awareness and dangers of using drugs and alcohol to students.
- Cell Phone Safety: Presentations were given to bring awareness to the dangers of apps and how information can be stored in them.